Naby Keita scored a late penalty to give the Porcupines a narrow 1-0 win over FC San-Pedro at the Baba Yara Stadium on Monday.

Monday’s game was the second half of the CAF Confederation Cup playoff round first leg fixture following the calling off of the game on Sunday.

The CAF Confederation Cup playoff round first leg game was heading for a goalless draw when Ngoran Kouassi cut Songne Yacouba from behind in the penalty box, five minutes into stoppage time.

Naby Keita went for the kick and sent goalkeeper, Tra Tape the wrong way to the admiration of the supporters.

Kjetil Zachariassen and his charges will go into the second leg in Cote d’Ivoire on Sunday to force a qualification into the group stage of the competition.

The Porcupines pushed for the opener after South African referee, Eugene Ndluli whistle but were unlucky as Songne Yacouba’s pass to Richard Arthur was intercepted and cleared to safety. The pass could have set up the Kotoko attacker alone with Tra Tape.

Augustine Okrah’s 55th-minute close-range strike was blocked before Tra Tape denied Songne Yacouba the opener with a point-blank save five minutes later.

Richard Arthur headed a whisker of the right post on the hour mark, six minutes after which he had a goal disallowed for offside.

With the game heading to its death and the Porcupines still in need of a goal, Kjetil Zachariassen threw in his first dice in the 73rd minute replacing Collins with Naby Keita. The Norwegian trainer changed his initial 4-4-2 formation to 4-3-3.

Kjetil Zachariassen changed hands four minutes later by pulling out Patrick Yeboah for Kelvin Andoh to line up the players in a 3-4-3 formation.

The Porcupines’ push for the opener became more intense as Empem Dacosta, Stephen Ayiku and Agyemang Badu kept the San-Pedro attackers at bay at back.

But the Porcupines still had captain, Felix Annan to thank in the 82 when the Black Stars goalkeeper stretched to palm away Sherif Olatunde’s close-range shot.

Richard Arthur connected with a pass around the edge of the box in the 86th minute. His shot went towards the bottom left corner, but Sylla Bemfa was alert and headed the ball from the goal line.

The Porcupines went on yet another attack in the San-Pedro penalty area five minutes into stoppage time. Augustine Okrah found Songne Yacouba with a through ball, but the latter was cut from behind as he braced up for a shot.

The referee did not hesitate in whistling for a penalty, and Naby Keita showed up with a strike into the right side of the net as Tra Tape dived to the left. That turned out to be the last in the game as the referee brought proceedings to an end shortly after the restart.

Source: Gideon Boakye Botwe|