By James K. Attaglo Wilson

Liberty Professionals had to count on the benevolence of their workaholic captain – Michael Ampadu to snatch a point from the jaws of Legon Cities FC [LCFC] on Sunday, December 29 as the Ghana Premier League resumes after eighteen months in coma.

Playing at their favorite Carl Reindorf Park in Dansoman, the scientific soccer lads [Liberty Professionals] were in firm control of the game from the blast of the whistle, but one touch too many caused them from taking an early lead as they kept wasting too much time on the ball in most situations instead of releasing the ball quicker.

There was a big shout for a penalty in the 10th minute when George Amoako went on his knees in the box as Legon Cities FC central defender [Mohammed] blocked him with his left and cleared the ball to touch with his right foot, convincing the referee to ignore the call.

The Royals [Legon Cities FC], however, broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute through Sadiq Sule’s individual brilliance.

Emmanuel Issaka’s free-kick was blocked by Adams in the defensive area to initiate a swift counter attack through Awule in the midfield zone to release Sule on the right side of attack. Sadiq calmly received the pass, took on two defenders before curling the ball past the helpless Kofi Baah in post for Liberty Professionals.

Mubarak Alhassan nearly pulled parity for the scientific soccer lads in the 37th minute but his close range shot went straight into the waiting arms of goalkeeper Prosper who enjoyed most part of the game on holidays.

Back from the break, coach Ocloo made a quick substitution replacing Ernest Nwannkurinah with Abraham Wayo in an attempt to seize the midfield from the visitors.

Just as Liberty Professionals were in firm control of the game, goalkeeper Kofi Baah made a hash of himself, gifting the ball to Jeffrey Degorl to extend the lead for LCFC after rounding off the goalkeeper to plant the ball into an empty net.

After dominating play midway through the second stanza, it was shocking to see Legon Cities FC collapse in the midfield battle, allowing the scientific soccer lads to pull one goal through Elvis Kyei Baffour in the 78th minute with a simple tap in.

But just as the Royals thought they had won the game, Michael Ampadu came from nowhere to ruin their party with a late volley from outside the box to complete a hard fought draw for the scientific soccer lads.