Total CAF Super Cup 2020, the one-off CAF organised game pits the winners of the previous CAF Champions League [Tunisia’s Esperance Sportive de Tunis who won the tournament in controversial circumstances] against the victors from the CAF Confederation Cup, Egypt’s Zamalek SC who saw-off Morocco’s Berkane on a penalty shoot out.
The sold out game will be played this evening in the Gulf city of Doha at the Thani bin Jassim Stadium, otherwise known as the Al-Gharrafa stadium in Al-Rayann.
Below are some of the guiding facts of the CAF Super Cup:
– The 2020 Total CAF Super Cup is the 28th edition of the annual competition that gathers the winners of CAF Champions League and CAF Confederation Cup since its inception in 1993.
– Between 1993 and 2003 it was contested between the winners of CAF Champions League and African Cup Winners’ Cup.
– Al Ahly of Egypt is the most successful side in the history of CAF Super Cup with six titles.
List of Previous Champions by Club:
Al Ahly (Egypt) – 6 titles
TP Mazembe (DR Congo), Zamalek (Egypt) – 3 titles
Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia), Raja Casablanca (Morocco), Enyimba (Nigeria) – 2 titles
Esperance (Tunisia), Wydad (Morocco), Africa Sports (Cote d’Ivoire), Hearts of Oak (Ghana), Orlando Pirates (South Africa), ASEC Mimosas (Cote d’Ivoire), Maghreb Fez (Morocco), ES Setif (Algeria), Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) – 1 title.
– Egyptian sides won the CAF Super Cup 9 times, more than any other country.
List of Previous Champions by Country
Egypt – 9 titles
Morocco – 4 titles
Tunisia, DR Congo – 3 titles
Cote d’Ivoire, South Africa, Nigeria – 2 titles
Algeria, Ghana – 1 title
– In 27 previous editions, CAF Champions League winners emerged victorious 23 times, compared to two titles for African Cup Winners’ Cup champions, and two for CAF Confederation Cup Champions.
– Only two teams managed back to back CAF Super Cup titles; Enyimba of Nigeria (2004 and 2005), and Al Ahly who did that twice (2007 and 2008, 2013 and 2014).
– This is the second consecutive time the CAF Super Cup will be played in Qatari capital Doha.
– Esperance are having their second consecutive CAF Super Cup appearance and fifth overall. They won the trophy in 1995, but failed to replicate the feat in 1999, 2012 and 2019. On the other hand Zamalek are also making their fifth CAF Super Cup appearance, with three victories in 1994, 1997 and 2003 and one defeat in 2001.
– It’s the second consecutive CAF Super Cup match that gathers Esperance coach Moine Chaabani and Zamalek’s manager Patrice Carteron. The Frenchman was the coach of Morocco’s Raja Casablanca when they won last year’s edition, defeating Esperance 2-1 in Doha.
– The 2020 CAF Super Cup match between Esperance and Zamalek will be the fourt meeting between Tunisian and Egyptian sides in this competition. Egypt has won the previous three editions, all through Al Ahly. The Cairo Red Devils defeated Etoile du Sahel on penalties in 2007, before beating Sfaxien twice, 2-1 in 2009 and 3-2 in 2014.