On June 06, 2018, a well renowned private investigative Journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas and his Tiger Eye PI team brought the foundation of Ghana football to its begging knees upon the release of the famous Number 12 documentary – When Greed and Corruption Become the Norm.

The underlying principle behind the documentary premiered at the Accra International Conference Centre [AICC] sought to highlights the level of corruption in football and among football administrators in Ghana.

Anas and his Tiger Eye PI petitioned FIFA, CAF, and further filed a case against Mr. Kwesi Nyantakyi.

FIFA and CAF subsequently relieved the former head of the Ghana Football Association of his position at the world football governing body as well as at the continental level.

In March 2020, the Attorney General charged Kwesi Nyantakyi for ‘conspiracy to commit crime – fraud by an agent contrary to sections 23(1) and 145(1)(a) of the criminal offences Act, 1960 (Act 29).

He has also been charged with corruption by a public officer contrary to section 239(1) of the Criminal offences Act, 1960 (Act 29).

Mr. Nyantakyi and Abdulai Alhassan, former GFA Executive Committee member who Tiger Eye PI contacted before reaching out to the former WAFU Zone B President [Nyantakyi], all pleaded not guilty to the charges at the Criminal Court 4 of the Accra High Court.

The two have made two appearances at the court thereafter, but to no avail due to the coronavirus pandemic and the Easter festivities.

According to Joy sports’ Muftawu Nabila Abdulai who has chiefly being following proceedings of the case, he has intercepted an over 213 page documents which could prove crucial in the final analysis of the case.

Below is how Muftawu narrates the event so far as published on on Saturday, June 6 headlined – 2 years after Anas aired ‘Number 12’, new court documents pop up:

Joy sports’ Muftawu Nabila Abdulai followed the proceedings during which he intercepted the over 213 paged “Disclosures” filed by the prosecutor in Court as evidence they intend to rely on for the prosecution of the accused persons.

In the court documents related to the case, meetings held in Ghana were not captured in the transcriptions, but only those that transpired in Dubai were, Joy Sports gathered.

These meetings were on October 7 and 12, 2017 respectively.

Kwesi Nyantakyi is described as A1 (first accused), whilst Abdulai Alhassan has been named A2 (second accused). Pages of the document have been numbered from B1 to B213.

It would be recalled that Mr Nyantakyi in his statement after the exposé revealed that the $65,000 bribe he is accused of taking was actually a $40,000 refund for his flight tickets for said Dubai meetings.

Tiger Eye PI discredited his claims, but only published invoices, rather than receipts, as evidence of tickets purchased for the accused persons.

In the particular case of Abdulai Alhassan, former Northen Regional Football Association Chairman, Tiger Eye PI published a flight itinerary for the trips.

As part of the court documentation, Tiger Eye PI provided no receipts or travel itineraries for Nyantakyi.

Nyantakyi and the late Ahmed Hussein Suale, had the first meeting which took place at Taj Hotel in Dubai on 7th October, 2017, and is captured on pages B27, B28, B29, and B30, it is suggested that Tiger Eye Pi and Ahmed Hussein Suale, who spearheaded the investigations, did not know the flight schedules of Mr Nyantakyi to and from Dubai.
On page B29 as sighted by Joy Sports, the conversation is transcribed as follows:

Tiger Eye: Oh yes it’s time. And in fact (it’s) because I didn’t know your flight arrangements otherwise I could have also communicated same. Maybe, he could have wait [sic] here no matter what the situation. I’m sure he would have waited to have this meeting before he leave [sic].

On page B27, the conversation is captured as follows:

Nyantakyi: The Minister would be there but I’ll leave tomorrow morning.

Tiger: Tomorrow morning?

Nyantakyi: My flight is 9:30.

Tiger: And then…?

Nyantakyi : By 7:30 I should be at the airport.

Tiger: Ehh?

The discussions appear to corroborate the claim of Mr Nyantakyi that he paid the cost of his travels to Dubai and back.

Joy Sports understands, per the facts assembled, the first meeting did not take place.
Nyantakyi, a former CAF First Vice President, was told Skeikh Al-Thani (who he had made to believe he was to meet in Dubai for meetings) had a flu. The meeting was postponed indefinitely.

Checks revealed that, a second meeting took place in Dubai on 12th October 2017 following a request from Tiger Eye PI.

Nyantakyi arrived in Dubai around 3am on board an Egyptair flight from Cairo and was met on arrival by Alhassan, Suale and a certain Mohammed, a friend of Suale.

Two meetings were held on this day: one at the Al-Ghurair Hotel, where a conversation on sponsorship of the GFA and investment opportunities in Ghana ensued. This meeting had only Nyantakyi, Suale, Alhassan and Mohammed, reportedly a friend of Suale.

After this meeting, they proceeded to Jood Palace Hotel which is few kilometres away from Al-Ghurair Hotel where Sheikh Al-Thani was present. The meeting lasted thirty minutes.

During this meeting, conversations on potential sponsorship agreements were discussed. Ahmed Suale acted as the Sheikh’s interpreter.

It was after this meeting that, $50 notes in eight bundles were handed to Nyantakyi.

According to sources, Hussein Suale who acted as the interpreter claim the money was meant for ‘shopping’ contrary to the agreement on the purpose of the money, which was a refund.

Nyantakyi, Joy Sports gathered was in hurry to catch a flight to Uganda, and did not even notice that was the comment passed by Suale until the video was premiered.

Accepting the money, they say was a ‘gift or bribe’ and described by the Attorney General as an ‘inducement’ led to a life time ban of Kwesi Nyantakyi which he is currently fighting at the highest apex adjudicatory body for Sports, Court of Arbitration for Sports.

Joy sports sources say, some decisions have been reached by CAS but they are undergoing review.
But, locally, the High court will resume proceedings on this matter on July 7.