The “Gypsy King” didn’t entertain the idea during his post-fight press conference.
Eddie Hearn doesn’t waste any time.
After seeing Tyson Fury pulverize Deontay Wilder to snatch the WBC heavyweight title Saturday night, the Matchroom Boxing USA president took to his Twitter account and immediately called for Fury to face unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua this summer. In doing so, Hearn also tried to scratch a reportedly signed trilogy between Fury and Wilder.
How Hearn’s prodding will factor into that deal remains to be seen, but it’s definitely worth him taking a shot considering the magnitude of a possible Fury-Joshua fight — especially on their home soil in the United Kingdom.
Hearn isn’t alone, either. There are already odds on a potential Fury-Joshua fight.
When a reporter asked Fury about the possibility of facing Joshua next over Wilder, the “Gypsy King” refused to mention “AJ.”
“Deontay will need time to recover from the fight, but I’m almost sure he’ll take a rematch because he’s a dynamite puncher,” Fury said. “Any time he could take someone out. With that danger, you’re always in a fight. I’m pretty sure we’ll do it again. We’ll run it back again.”
He did, however, state: “Whoever’s next will get the same treatment, that’s for sure.”
While Hearn is shooting his shot as early as possible, it will be up to Fury and his Top Rank/ESPN team to decide whether to go forward with the reported trilogy against Wilder or shift their sights to Joshua.
Prior to delivering a thorough beating of Wilder, Fury was irked that Joshua offered to spar with him but never followed up. He also relegated the top tier of the heavyweight division to just Wilder and himself, making Joshua the odd man out.
Even if Fury decides to face “AJ,” Joshua must first deal with Kubrat Pulev, his first of two mandatory challengers. Earlier this month, Hearn told iFL TV that a fight between Joshua and Pulev was “very close” to being made.
Source: Mark Lelinwalla