UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, who defended his title last weekend at UFC 214 against number one contender Demian Maia, has responded to criticism by the head of the promotion, Dana White, demanding a public apology.
White openly criticized Woodley at the post-event press conference at the weekend, saying the fighter was too passive and noting he had broken the record for the least punches thrown during a five-round MMA bout.
The UFC chief also announced that Georges St-Pierre, who’s looking to come back to the promotion following a four-year hiatus, would not face the welterweight champion, as had been announced earlier.
Instead, White again brought up the previously promoted bout between St-Pierre and middleweight champion Michael Bisping.
“I know Michael Bisping will fight,” White said in an apparent jab at Woodley. “He will show up and actually fight.”
That angered Woodley, who addressed the criticism while talking over the phone on The MMA Hour show on Monday.
“When your job title is promoter, promote your f****** fighters,” he stated.
“Promote your champion. Don’t demote your champion. I threw my shoulder out in the first round, I wasn’t able to throw any damaging shots,” Woodley said, explaining that he was returning from seeing a medical specialist.
“So I’m just, I’m owed a public apology. You’re going to publicly scrutinize me, Dana White? You publicly need to apologize to me.”
“And if I don’t get that, I’m going to start leaking some s*** that people don’t want to be out in the wind. I’m not even kidding about that.”
Woodley declined to clarify what exactly he meant when asked.
“They know what I’m referring to. I’m due a public apology,” he added.
It was announced in February that St-Pierre was looking to make a comeback to the UFC octagon. In March, the legendary Canadian was already facing off with English middleweight champion Bisping at the T-Mobile Arena press conference to officially announce their upcoming fight.
As that fight still hasn’t come to fruition, White recently announced that St-Pierre would instead face the winner of the Woodley-Maia bout – which he now appears to have backtracked on.